Tuesday 18 February 2014

It's not about colour.

On Saturday night I was at Mixed Martial Arts promotion Fight UK's 'Last Man standing Tournament' 

I turned up last minute and the guys were happy to let me sit cage side to get some real pictures. As the event was being held in a theatre hall, the lighting conditions were pretty dim everywhere, and to avoid agitating fighters before they prepare for their fights, its in my best interest to keep my flash switched off.

I was also using a faster shutter speed to capture instant moments, which meant even less light was available to the camera. This meant many of my shots produced grain and in the colour versions its very noticeable, so I decided to make a collection of black and white images.

I played with the black and white setting levels combined with brightness/contrasts. I also added a high pass layer, but instead of using small increments for more realistic sharpening, I used higher levels to achieve a  more canvass effect.

My focus was to try and capture fighters 'in the moment'. 


























Check out www.fightukmma.co.uk for future shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment